One of many reasons women between ages 40-50 may suffer from hair thinning is because of menopause. This is a point in a woman’s life at when they are no longer fertile and menstrual periods have ceased. Aside from hair loss and hair thinning, symptoms can also include hot flashes or night sweats. Menopause is not a disease rather a new chapter in a woman’s life they say that we all have to embrace.
On the onset of menopause, the hormones estrogen and testosterone have the most important influence on hair growth. During the menopause, levels of estrogen decreases and this hormone is very important in promoting hair growth. While estrogen level drops, the testosterone levels increase disproportionately which cause hair thinning and can also cause facial hair growth. To make your hair as well kept as possible during this stage of womanhood, follow these tips to lessen the effects of hair thinning during menopause.
- Treat your hair nicely - Use a gentle shampoo when you wash your hair and try to avoid tugging and tangling it. Avoid using hair dryer if possible as too much heat can damage the hair. Stay away from chemical based hair treatments like coloring, extensions, straightening and the likes as chemicals will do no good. Massage your scalp and always use nourishing conditioners to stimulate extra blood flow to the scalp to prevent further hair thinning.
- Nutrition - There are certain foods which can improve the quality of your hair like protein and iron rich foods which can be found in red meats, they are good for strengthening the hair while vitamin C found in citrus and other fruits can also be beneficial.
- Relax - Keep stress to a minimum level and sleep well at night. Exercise daily to lower the stress level, improve sleep and circulation of blood especially to the scalp to keep hair healthy.
- Hydrate, Hydrate and Hydrate - Load up on water all day and pass on juices, sodas and other flavored drinks that contain more sugar than your body needs.
- Medication - Talk to your doctor about your meds. Some medications have side effects that could include hair loss. Your doctor might be able to adjust your prescription depending on how your body will react.